Monday 6 June 2011

Secret Window

Is it weird that I am really in love with the lake house/cabin in the movie ‘Secret Window’? Because to be quite honest I really do absolutely love that house, yes, it is a little rough around the edges, and it could do with a little TLC, but seriously, I could see myself living there. Or at least having it as some sort of holiday cabin .... wouldn’t that be cool though, to turn around and say, ‘Yeah, I have a Lake house that I go when I have that inevitable crave for solitude sometimes.’

I don’t know about you, but I like to be alone sometimes, maybe not to the extent that Mort Rainey is in the Secret Window (apologies if you haven’t seen the movie. Watch it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and enjoy it, if your anything like me you will anyway), but I think, deep down, we all crave that solidarity. We yearn for a place that we can think without interruption, a place that we can just go deep into our minds and not come out until we’ve figured out what it is that needs figuring out.
This particular lake house in ‘Secret Window’ is in upstate New York, out at a place called Tashmore Lake ... Now as far as I know, this isn’t a real lake, it was made up for fictional purposes by Stephen King (the author of the book that ‘Secret Window’ was based on) ... but again I could be wrong, it could very well exist.

To be completely honest with you, I think I would have to just have it as a vacation cabin up in the mountains near the lake because I’m the kind of person who, if given the opportunity, would live abroad ... a soon to be Architect I think that eventually, if I could start my own firm, I could be able to work from home more often and have a head office where everything was run. I would then be able to still have a home near my head office, but have that option of living in different countries if I wanted to, hell I could even expand my office to other parts of the world!! You never know what’s lying around the corner for you. That’s a long way into the future for me yet though.

Even though I want to be successful in my career and I want to achieve certain things and travel the world, and have all of these exciting experiences, at the end of the day, I’m just an everyday person, who has a dream to do extra ordinary things, and anyone can do that!    

3 comments:

  1. I watched the movie this morning fro the third time and not because I like it but because, just like you, I'm in love with the place and for the same reason you listed in your article. I was looking for the place, I mean the real existing one, and I hit on your blog. Nice article. Thank you AJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought saddens me that you haven't been present since 2011, as I love your Blogging style and find you to be somewhat like me in many ways.
    Perhaps we are alike in our deep yearning for this amazing placed secluded cabin as well..
    It's everything really... the location, the interior architecture (with emphasis on the 'interior overlooking balcony').
    I found you through searching for the real location of the cabin which seems to be actually in Canada.

    Jason M.

    ReplyDelete